Friday, June 9, 2017

Topic 2: Your Goals Week 10 Forum Reflective Response

We are coming to our final days in photojournalism, (JN134).  In the midst of crunching out the last photo essay, and the rest of our finals- our class is also taking time to reflect on our initial goals as photographers.  In my initial forum response, I stated the following mission:

"As a student in #JN134 (Photo Journalism), I am hoping to find a balance in the composition that allows the audience to see the raw tendency of life in society.  

I think that we, as a society, often find ourselves humming from place to place, or filtering ideas and thoughts into our own world without much contemplation toward what can be found outside of comfort zones.  I have fallen into this cycle before and am hoping to find that Photo Journalism allows me to understand objective, quick decisions based on life as it happens in pursuit of mechanical and visual truth.

I took this class to step outside of my own comfort zone and work on scale, composition and rendering as life presents itself, while also adapting technique to visually communicate the events and people I come across in a clear, objective manner, rather than a predicament of subjective statement or sentiment. "


I feel as though my comfort zone was breached, stretched out and dismantled for the better.  As far as communicative skills are concerned, I often found myself reaching out to people that I would otherwise never consider during my creative process.  In that, I am mostly an introvert while working on projects. I immediately had to adapt to meeting new people, asking for their permission and explaining my intentions as a photographer. These parameters are something I had to tackle along with technical goals. 

My decision making skills as a photographer often overshadow the reality I am trying to convey, in that I can hesitate for so long that I do not ever take a photograph, or I take so many photographs of the same thing from every possible angle, that I miss the larger picture.  Throughout the duration of these assignments I have found the flexibility in quick decisions that are necessary for getting more than one aspect of a story.  In my first photographs, my hesitance can be seen in a photograph for the blood drive, when compared to the photograph of David Kidd.  Thankfully, this is something I quickly noted and began to adapt toward changing. Also, I found the lack of personal and subjective sentiment while on assignment refreshing.  I was able to solely focus on composition, what is happeningand only utilize an aspect of honesty that I have never had a chance to explore with the lens.

However, the process of quick-decision making skills has been a slower process when considering my own post-production process.  When we presented our photographs, we were mostly expected to demonstrate scale by selecting a close-up, mid-range, and wide-angle shots.  It would usually take me an hour or two to select the proper scale when presenting these photographs.  Applying quick decision making skills toward selection and "rendering as life presents itself" has been the most difficult goal to accomplish. 

Thankfully, I have had many to guide me along the way and I have been persistent on taking into consideration the overall goals for assignments, for the blog and also as a contributing photographer to The Commuter.  When it comes to visual communication, arts or creative pursuits: My selection and editing process has always been a sort of weak spot in my abilities.  I expected the struggle to accomplish this goalWhen signing up for this class, I also knew that this skill might take longer than the process of actually taking the photograph.  This theory has proven to be true, however when I contrast the initial disposition against the last few weeks, I know that there has been a vast improvement.  The improvement is more so, along the adaptation towards the critical thinking skills necessary as I reach a deeper level of learning.  If it weren't for the collaboration beyond my comfort zone, I would perhaps, not have a larger scope for improving the selection process.    




No comments:

Post a Comment

An Introductory Note: